Tech Today w/ Ken May

Archive for February 14th, 2017

Enlarge (credit: YouTube Red) A couple of big names are severing ties with Felix Kjellberg, otherwise known as PewDiePie on YouTube. The Wall Street Journal reported that Disney’s Maker Studios dropped PewDiePie from its company, which had previously partnered with the YouTube creator to make the entertainment network Revelmode. Shortly after that announcement, Variety reported that YouTube cancelled the second season of Scare PewDiePie , the YouTube Red show starring Kjellberg, and dropped PewDiePie from Google Preferred, one of the company’s advertising programs for top-tier brands and talent. All of this follows PewDiePie’s video posted last month in which he paid two Indian men to hold up a sign that says “Death to all Jews.” He did this using a site called Fiverr , a freelance website that lets anyone pay for a variety of services—including graphic design and programming—for just $5. One of the services listed at the time was for Funny Guys, a comedy duo consisting of the two Indian men who would hold up a sign with anything written on it for $5. After the initial backlash toward PewDiePie’s video, the YouTube creator posted a follow-up video in which he says he didn’t think the men would actually hold up such an offensive sign. Fiverr banned Funny Guys after the incident; the duo said they didn’t understand what the sign meant at the time. PewDiePie apologized while asking Fiverr to reinstate the men to its website, claiming he felt “partially responsible.” He also responded to the controversy on his Tumblr page this weekend, defending his channel as “entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary,” but he also admitted that his previous actions were “ultimately offensive.” PewDiePie is no stranger to offensive content, as most of his videos showcase his bombastic sense of humor, but that hasn’t stopped 53 million people from subscribing to his channel. Read 3 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Categories: reader

Toshiba, one of Japan’s most storied companies, is in serious trouble. The company was supposed to report its quarterly earnings on the Tokyo Stock Exchange today, but it never showed up. Instead, it said it wasn’t ready and begged for another month to file. Read more…

Categories: reader

(credit: T-Mobile) T-Mobile USA is trying to top Verizon’s latest move by adding high-definition video and 10GB of high-speed hotspot usage to its $70 unlimited smartphone data plan. T-Mobile CEO John Legere  made the announcement on Twitter today, saying that the T-Mobile One plan will get HD video and the 10GB of high-speed hotspot data per month beginning Friday “at no extra charge.” The T-Mobile One plan costs $70 a month, including taxes and fees. Currently, the $70 plan limits streaming video quality to 480p and caps mobile hotspot speeds at 512kbps, though customers could already pay extra for HD video and high-speed tethering. 6/ Starting Fri, #TMobileONE price includes HD video & 10GB high-speed

Categories: reader